Saturday, November 7, 2009

The True Meaning of Smekday, by Adam Rex, as reviewed by Nula

For my very first review, I have a book I had no intention of reading:



I was actually looking for something I could skim over lunch and then happily put back on the shelf and forget about. This looked mildly interesting, but a little too sci-fi for my taste. As J. Lo (the alien, not the actress/singer/perfume) would say, "Maaaaaaaaa -aa-aa-aa-aa!" That, of course, is Boov laughter. This book is hysterical! Or, wicked funny, as J. Lo wuold also say. After immersing myself in it all afternoon and just now coming up for air, I will be hard-pressed to NOT speak entirely in lines from the book, but I will try.

It's just that there are so many great lines. Some are funny and wise at the same time - "Some were looting, because I guess they thought that with aliens invading they were really going to need new DVD players." Others sound just like Dave barry (we LOVE Dave Barry here), so I shouldn't have been surprised to find he liked the book too.

So, what is it about? Well, about aliens. Invading. They learned our language mostly through moles they implanted on the backs of people like our main character's mom, while forcing her to fold laundry (see, they mean it when they say you should be concerned if your mole changes shape. Or glows purple.) Not-so-subtle references here to the Europeans taking over every other continent in the world on the grounds that they were the more advanced race. Eventually, all the humans are sent to a reservation in Florida. Or maybe not. And those were the NICE aliens. Confused yet? Just keep a cat around, you'll be okay.

Give this to fans of Dave Barry, Daniel Pinkwater, or Douglas Adams - and by all means, read it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment