Thursday, September 3, 2009

How to Scratch a Wombat, by Jackie French, as reviewed by Yoda

This delightful book is a nonfiction follow-up to the equally delightful "Diary of a Wombat" from the same author and illustrator (Bruce Whatley). "Diary of a Wombat" is one of those picture books that will tickle old and young readers alike, and I was looking forward to reading this one. I was not disappointed.

Like the picture book, this has much to appeal to readers of all ages. Each chapter is full of facts about wombats' behavior, food, and even their droppings, presented with anecdotal stories from the author's experience that are sure to keep the reader chuckling. I found myself stopping random strangers to read bits out loud to them. I mean, really, Sneezy, I thought I slept soundly!

I'm surprised someone at Disney hasn't snatched this up yet for a made-for-TV movie. Of course, that might have everyone in America running out to find a pet wombat - fortunately, something not found in pet stores, as the book makes it very clear they are not pets. Fascinating animals, nontheless, and since most of us can't travel to Australia to observe them ourselves, this book makes an enjoyable substitute. Follow the link below to order your own copy:



If you missed "Diary of a Wombat", here's a link to that one, complete with a cute little stuffed wombat, guaranteed NOT to tear up your garden:



Last but not least,some fun kids' activities as well as ways you can help wombats from afar:

http://www.wombatprotection.org.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment